Let there be Light.....

On 20 August, Yvan Haince contacted the clients to let them know that the electrical work was completed. In an email, he defined "Completed" as "all wiring, switches, plugs etc code-compliant". He wanted his milestone payment of $3100 - in cash.

Haince was asked about a few irregularities - like this electrical panel. He said a few minor issues needed to be finalized. He was waiting for delivery of some additional circuit breakers which simply plugged in (he said), and he would then connect the remaining wires.

a finished electrical according to Haince. It cost $6000 to fix

The clients did not want to pay, but neither did they want to face another job stop because Yvan was angry. So they paid him.

After the money had changed hands, Yvan informed his clients that a building inspector from the city of Halifax had dropped in for a visit and issued a stop-work order because no building permit had been issued. As mentioned earlier, Haince had said no permit was needed because the work was "essentially cosmetic".

It would take until late September before Yvan got his permit applications sorted out and the Halifax  inspector gave the green light for Haince to proceed.

More than 4 months later, the panel remained unchanged. The following "minor issues" were still outstanding:

 -  The panel was obsolete and circuit breakers were no longer available;
 -  Even if breakers had been available, there weren't enough positions on the panel for them;
 -  Several wires hanging from the ceiling were connected to kitchen appliances, but not to the panel (Haince told the client he wouldn't have time to check if the new kitchen appliance were working. The contractor who replaced Haince pointed out that was because the appliances, not being connected to the electrical panel, would not have worked in any case. This was something that the clients were meant to find out after Haince was long gone, in the opinion of the new contractor).
 -  several breakers had more than one wire connected to them - a regulatory no-no.
 -  Haince had placed several electrical junction boxes inside the walls, covered by drywall - also absolutely contrary to building codes.

Here are a few more pictures from around the house, taken well after Haince had collected his milestone payment for "fully completed" electrical work:

unfinished outlets and switches were all over the house Most - if not all - outlets and switches were not connected or partially connected, like this one..
On the 2nd floor landing, the ceiling had this rather incomplete look about it. It was not clear what the openings were for and Haince couldn't exactly recall but "they would be complete by the end of the day". After all, he had just collected $3100 for having completed all electrical work in the house. unfinished light fixtures and unused holes
random loose wires were everywhere  This bundle of house wire was tucked away into the rafters in the basement. Haince was not sure what the intended purpose was  although he had recently put it there..

this is what Haince calls completed electrical work

This is another (clickable) example of Haince's idea of fully completed electrical work.

CO detector was from a jhunk box and caught fire

Haince insisted that a Carbon Monoxide Detector be installed in the basement, and no one argued that point. However, this is what he installed. Around April 2016, a burning odour was noticed in the basement. The source was tracked to the CO Detector, which was immediately removed. It was dismantled and it was found that it had been manufactured in 1994 by a company which went bankrupt in 1997. CO detectors typically have a life span of 5 - 7 years, 10 years at the most. This one was well past it's "best before" date. The device showed up in an invoice as part of miscellaneous parts - the cost of this particular device is unknown. Click on the thumbnail for a full-sized picture.

It would seem that Haince was unaware that when a single CO Detector is provided in a residence, it's supposed to be installed in the sleeping quarters. In this case, the bedroom was  on the 3rd floor. Also, CO detectors in the same area as a furnace should be at least 15 feet away - this one was on top of the furnace.

The clients had paid Haince $6350 for electrical work. In order to correct the electrical deficiencies and eliminate the illegal installations - like hidden junction boxes - the clients had an additional expenditure of about $6000, including a new electrical panel.
Return to Main Page        Next Page